Cabbage and Potato Au Gratin: A Comforting Classic Reimagined 🥔🧀
In the world of hearty comfort food, Cabbage and Potato Au Gratin stands tall as a delightful twist on a timeless favorite. This dish combines the earthiness of Yukon gold potatoes with the mild sweetness of cabbage, all bathed in a creamy, cheesy sauce that will leave you craving seconds.
- 5 Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. diced ham
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head of cabbage, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 block of Gruyere cheese
- Parsley flakes
- Begin by adding half a stick of butter to an oven-safe pan over medium heat. Sauté the shallots for about 5 minutes until they become translucent.
- Next, add the diced ham to the pan and cook until it's beautifully browned. Add the sliced garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Toss in the sliced cabbage and sauté until it becomes wonderfully tender.
- In a separate pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, then add the flour and whisk it together. Allow this mixture to cook for about 3 minutes before slowly adding the milk.
- Season the sauce with salt, pepper, a touch of nutmeg, and a teaspoon of parsley flakes. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens to the point where it coats the back of a spoon.
- Now, prepare the potatoes by washing away any excess starch and patting them dry with paper towels.
- In the oven-safe pan, spread a thin layer of the sautéed cabbage across the bottom. Layer on the thinly sliced potatoes and season with salt, pepper, and one-third of the creamy sauce. Sprinkle one-third of the Gruyere cheese over the top.
- Add the second layer of potatoes, the remaining sauce, and the last portion of cheese.
- Cover the pan and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and raise the oven temperature to 400°F. Continue to bake until the top is gloriously golden brown.
This Cabbage and Potato Au Gratin is a symphony of textures and flavors, bringing together the heartiness of potatoes, the sweetness of cabbage, and the richness of cheese. Serve it as a side dish or as a comforting main course and enjoy the warm embrace of this delicious Southern-inspired creation. 🍽️🧡✨