Beautiful large asparagus topped with reduced cream and gruyere and white cheddar broiled till golden. This dish can stand up to the most impressive main dishes and will elevate any meal you use it with.
- 1 bunch asparagus (large, if you can find them)
- 1 cp heavy cream
- 1/4 cp grated gruyere
- 1/4 cp grated white cheddar
- parsley to garnish
- Prepare asparagus by cutting off very bottom and stripping bottom third with a vegetable peeler.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water. 1.5 - 2 minutes for large asparagus, 1 min if they are small. Immediately transfer to ice bath.
- In a small saucepan, reduce cream by half and season liberally with salt pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Keep a close eye on this as it can foam over easily. A wooden spoon place in the pan helps prevent this.
- Heat oven and turn on broiler.
- Align asparagus in a single file line. Coat with reduced cream and top with grated cheese. Add paprika for color and top with parsley.
- Broil until cheese is golden and cream is bubbly. Garnish with fresh parsley If desired.