Those sweet Georgia Vidalia onions 🧅 make the perfect blooming onion!!
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 qt buttermilk
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- Boudreaux's Fire and Smoke
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup corn starch
- Cooking oil
- Dipping sauce
- Cold beer
- Cut top from onion and peel outer layer, leaving the root and 1 inch diameter around it. Slice from the bottom inward 4 times to cut into quarters. Slice each quarter into 3. Flip over and carefully separate layers.
- Mix dry ingredients and season. Separately mix eggs, buttermilk, seasoning and hot sauce.
- Dust onion in dry mix first making sure to get into all layers. Dip into wet mixture to coat all surfaces. Finally back into the fry mixture to form a good coating on all layers.
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees and carefully place onion in hot oil. Be careful not to overfill pot as this could lead to a grease fire.
- Cook until golden brown and onion starts to float.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite dipping sauce and cold beer 🍻