This is one of those down South comfort foods. Butter beans with shrimp, utilizing Camellia brand dried beans and fresh gulf shrimp.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 lb. large lima beans, cleaned and soaked
- 2 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 chilis (optional)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable base
- 1/2 bunch green onion
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp shrimp dust
- Creole seasoning
- Wash beans and soak them overnight.
- Heat oil over med. heat and whisk in flour. Cook until light brown in color.
- Add in trinity and garlic, cook until soft.
- Add in beans and water.
- Stir seasonings, vegetable base, and shrimp powder.
- Simmer for 3-4 hours until beans are tender. Add liquid as needed and taste for seasoning.
- Add in heavy cream and simmer 20 minutes
- Add in shrimp, green onion and parsley and cook 15 more minutes.
- Serve over rice 🍚